Congress created the federal Department of Education in 1979 under the auspices of President Jimmy Carter with the intent to establish policy for administers and coordinates most federal aid to education. It helps the president in executing his education policies for the nation and in implementing laws enacted by Congress. Prior to its existence, states were responsible for school policies. Instead of achieving the goal, it has failed the students it purported to help.
The Department of Education has evolved into a bureaucracy that provides more benefits for teachers and administrators than for students. The progressive left has co-opted Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals and is a strong influence in the National Education Association which has weakened the quality of education and replaced it with ideologies that have little to do with the great history of our country. History is facts, both good and ugly at times, but unless our students are taught the facts, America is doomed to become a third-rate country unable to lift the standard of living as we have throughout our history.
The Conservative Party Supports:
- Phasing out the Department of Education.
- School choice through vouchers and tax credits.
- Homeschooling and charter schools.
- Complete curriculum transparency; provide it to parents in the beginning of the school year.
- History must be accurate, taught without preferential themes.
- Ending federal money grants for educational institutions who stifle free speech.
- Sex education topics should not be available prior to Junior High School.